Lake Glenville is a reservoir located just 8 miles from
Cashiers, North Carolina. It was formed by the damming of the west fork
of the Tuckasegee River in 1941. Between 1951 and 2002, it was
officially known as "Thorpe Reservoir" after J. E. S. Thorpe,
Nantahala Power's first president. It is still listed as such on many
maps. The lake bottom plunges as steeply as the mountains that meet the
shore. The depth a short distance from the water?s edge may register
80 feet (24 m) or more. The lake also has 26 miles (42 km) of shoreline
and the highest elevation of any lake east of the Mississippi.
During World War II, ALCOA (Aluminum Company of America) needed more
electricity to make aluminum for the war effort. In June 1940, Nantahala
Power and Light, then owned by ALCOA, began constructing a dam on the
west fork of the Tuckasegee River at Onion Falls.They completed it in
late 1941, filling a new lake called Thorpe Reservoir or Lake Glenville.
It encompassed the entire valley north of Cashiers, flooding the town of
Glenville including schools, homes, businesses, and farmlands to a depth
of 300 feet.
Note: Lake Glenville is a "Dry Area" for dining
with spirits one must go up to Highlands.
Photo: By Jim Lewicki
Just One Of Many Waterfalls That Flow Into
for Realtors serving this area.